Sunday, December 13, 2015

Unit I Introduction--Color Mixing Charts

For Unit I, I will be creating color mixing charts as described by Richard Schmid in his book Alla Prima II, which you can buy here.  I will make 9 color charts total, one for all of my colors alone, and one each for the colors I use in my palette.  Here is an example of a color chart I completed using Alizarin Permanent:

Alizarin Permanent Color Chart
The purpose of the exercise is to become fluent in working with your preferred palette and learn the ins and outs of working with transparent and opaque oil paints.  If you are doing the exercises yourself, simply swap out your preferred palette.  

Here is the list of materials I used for Unit I:
  • Oil Colors (I use Gamblin Oil Colors unless otherwise noted)
    • Alizarin Permanent
    • Transparent Oxide Red (Rembrandt)
    • Cadmium Red Deep
    • Cadmium Yellow Light (Winsor & Newton) 
    • Cadmium Lemon
    • Viridian Green (Rembrandt)
    • Phthalo Blue
    • Ultramarine Blue
    • Titanium White
My paints
  • Canvas pad--I used Centurion oil-primed linen, 9"x12".  Make sure you have one canvas sheet for each color (not including white), plus one extra. 
Oil-primed linen pad
  • Masking tape--I used 3/4" tape
Here is a list of tools I used:
  • Easel
  • Glass palette
  • Palette knives
  • T-square
Here is my Pinterest board for the lessons in Unit I:

       Follow Monique's board Wet On The Easel Blog Unit I Materials on Pinterest.  
Each pin has a link to a reasonable source for the item.

Unit I consists of nine lessons--one for each color chart I will complete.  Each color chart took me 2-4 hours to complete (they get easier and quicker!).   

You can access all of the lessons in this unit from the Index of Lessons page here.


The materials are listed above.

Approximate time to complete:  4 hours (part of that was fixing a goof-up)

As always, please subscribe to follow along or join in.  I'd love to meet you--please introduce yourself in the comments.  Also, your feedback is most appreciated.  Leave your questions, comments, and hate mail below.  (I won't post the hate mail, ha!)  Thanks for stopping by.  Monique

No comments:

Post a Comment